Your smile is so deeply connected to your self-confidence. And in an age when our lives are so heavily influenced by social media, the expectation to maintain the perfect life, career, body and even, smile runs pretty high. In fact, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 99.7% of people believe that a perfect smile is the most important social asset to have. Additionally, one third of all adults admit to being unhappy with their smiles and 38% of millennials surveyed by the American Dental Association (ADA) site finding life in general “less satisfying” due to teeth and mouth problems.
The statistics are pretty staggering, right?!
I’m all about maintaining body positivity and promoting mindset shifts that allow you to feel fantastic in your own skin, but I’d be lying if I said I don’t often think about achieving a perfectly, white pearly smile. My list of teeth staining foods and drinks also runs high – from multiple coffees a day, to glasses of red wine and eating beets any which way I can.
So, needless to say I was pretty jazzed when Smile Brilliant reached out to see if I would be interested in collaborating. Selfishly, I was excited at the opportunity to effortlessly get celebrity white teeth from the comfort of my own home. But, after doing heavy research into teeth whitening and self-esteem, the brand, the whitening process, list of ingredients, etc. – you name it – I was also became really excited to share Smile Brilliant with you!
If you’ve been a part of my community for some time now, you know I’m all about helping you find approachable and achievable ways to be well and feel your best. Smile Brilliant fit perfectly into that mission!
Keep reading to learn more and to discover how you could enter to win your very own set of custom-fitted teeth whitening trays!
meet smile brilliant
Smile Brilliant is an at home, professional teeth whitening system that uses custom-fitted trays to help you achieve your whitest smile.
✔️ Leaping Bunny Certified (Cruelty Free)
✔️ Backed by decades of research
✔️ Created by dental professionals
✔️ Great for people with sensitive teeth
When considering brand partners, I make sure to evaluate how many of the above listed items a brand and/or product meets. I was very pleased to learn the Smile Brilliant checks all the boxes.
Also, interestingly enough, I also learned that in the same ADA survey, millennials listed cost as the first reason they don’t seek dental care and “inconvenient location or time” as the second reason. Smile Brilliant provides a solution to both of those challenges. Their at home whitening systems start at $139. To put it in perspective, custom-fitted whitening trays from a dentist in the U.S. cost $500+. Additionally, the entire at home teeth whitening process is completed 3-5x faster and from the comfort of your own (more on this below).
I also love that the company provides a 45 day, 100% money back guarantee, showing just how confident they are in the efficacy of their product.
how teeth whitening works
Before I get into the details of how Smile Brilliant works, I thought it would be useful to explain the science behind how teeth whitening works.
To simplify, your teeth have tiny pores that act like sponges, absorbing the colors of the food and drink you consume every day. Over time, these stains build deeper into the tooth and can no longer be removed simply by brushing or by over-the-counter products like whitening strips.
More specifically, the whitening gels used in a custom-fitted teeth whitening trays work by gently opening up these pores and soaking into the tooth. The active ingredients in the gel then lift the stains to the surface leaving your teeth whiter with each application.
COMMON TEETH WHITENING MYTHS:
- Teeth whiteners are harmful and damage the enamel: studies done over the past five years have shown that lab direct whitening (such as Smile Brilliant) to be safe and effective with minimal side effects. A small percentage may have tooth sensitivity (caused by tooth dehydration, NOT enamel damage) and gum irritation, but this disappears upon discontinuation or lessening the use of whitening gel. Smile Brilliant’s stain removal process is also different from the bleaching method, which is what most whitening strips use that causes damage to the enamel.
- If I have sensitive teeth I can’t whiten my teeth: Since Smile Brilliant is a safe method for whitening teeth without enamel removal, anyone who wants stain-free teeth can use this product. Sensitivity is a possible side effect, where the Desensitization Gel may help.
- You should see instant results: Let’s do some math. How many years of stains do you have on your teeth? How many coffees have you drank in your lifetime? How about teeth staining foods? Deep stains take time to remove. You may not get instant results with only a handful of results, and that’s okay/normal. While some people see results within 4-7 days, some may need 10-14 days of treatment with Smile Brilliant before seeing results. Any product that is promises instant results is either lying or dangerous.
teeth whitening methods comparison
Throughout my lifetime, I’ve probably tried almost every method of teeth whitening there is out there. From strips, to LED lights, to coconut oil pulling and even raw baking soda on my tooth brush, I’ve really experimented with a lot of methods. I found whitening strips to be somewhat effective, but the results were always pretty nominal especially as I tend to have whiter teeth anyways. Like I said, I’m going for a real blinding level of white for my teeth. The strips also always made my teeth sensitive, even after just one use.
Below are some common teeth whitening methods, including their pros and cons.
- Custom fitted to your teeth for complete coverage
- Safe for both enamel and gums
- Same method as provided by the dentist
- Can be used by those with sensitive teeth
- The results are noticeable and permanent (current stains will be removed in their entirety and never return)
- Longer process
- More likely to cause sensitivity due to deep stain removal
- More expensive than alternatives
- Widely available
- Many are ADA approved
- Some noticeable results after several uses
- Poor delivery method – strips do not stay in place longe enough to open pores and do not reach every angle of the tooth
- Create significant sensitivity – offers no desensitizing or re-staining solution
- Noticeable, but temporary whitening of the surface of teeth
- Widely available
- All natural
- Abrasive – can erode enamel regardless of how fine the charcoal is. Harmful to both teeth and gums.
- Not ADA approved – as a result, potential for damage
- Enamel erosion often results in long-term sensitivity
- Results impermanent to sub-optimal
- Widely available
- Does not create tooth sensitivity
- Insufficient frequency – the at home light is not the same frequency as the dentist, therefore it is insufficient to speed up the active ingredients int he whitening gel
- Inexpensive because they are ineffective
how to use smile brilliant
What is extremely convenient about the Smile Brilliant teeth whitening system is that you complete the entire whitening process from the comfort of your own home. Here’s a quick overview of how to use Smile Brilliant achieve the brightest smile of your dreams.
Step One: Create Dental Impressions For Your Custom-Fitted Trays
Each Smile Brilliant kit comes with everything you’ll need to create dental impressions that will be used to create your custom-fitted trays. These items include:
- Base paste
- Catalyst paste
- Shipping envelope + label
- Consent card
To create your dental impressions, you essentially mix the base and catalyst pastes together, place the putty in the trays, then take upper and lower teeth impressions separately. When you are done, you fill out the provided consent card and mail your impressions to the Smile Brilliant Dental Lab using the provided shipping envelope and label. Your custom-fitted trays will be mailed to you about two weeks.
You can watch how I made my dental impressions on my Instagram stories. The kit also comes with lots of helpful instructions and guides making the dental impression process a breeze.
Once you receive your custom-fitted trays, it’s time to whiten! Here are the steps to whitening with Smile Brilliant:
- Prior to application, brush your teeth with just water (no toothpaste), dry your teeth and clean/dry your trays.
- Apply a thin, steady ribbon of whitening gel along the front, outer surface of the trays (the part that will come in contact with the front of your teeth). You don’t need a lot here! 1 syringe = 3-4 applications (top & bottom) so a little goes a long way!
- Insert your trays. Leave on for anywhere from 45 minutes – 3 hours depending on your level of sensitivity. It’s best to start with shorter applications and gradually increase if you experience little to no sensitivity. I would typically whiten my teeth for about 1-2 hours each session.
- After you’re done whitening, brush your teeth with toothpaste, dry your teeth and clean/dry your trays with cool water.
Most people see results within 4-7 days, but if you have deep stains, you may need not see results until after 10-14 days of use.
Honestly, I feel like I saw results almost immediately after using my trays. If not immediately, definitely after two uses. And the results that I did see were FAR ABOVE AND BEYOND any other whitening methods I had done in the past. FINALLY, my teeth were pristine, brilliant white! LOVE!
Step Three: Desensitizing Gel
It’s important to use the desensitizing gel after each whitening session, even if you don’t experience any sensitivity as the desensitizing gel is also used lessen the re-staining rate. As the whitening gel undergoes its natural process from active to inactive, the pores in the teeth are left open and exposed, known as dehydration. A professionally whitened tooth can stay partially dehydrated for up to 48 hours or until the pores are remineralized by organic material found in saliva. At this time, it is suggested to stay away from extremely hot and cold along with sweet and salty substances, to avoid possible irritation of the nerve tissue causing the tooth to become very sensitive. Until the tooth is completely rehydrated, it will absorb any color of food or liquid it is exposed to. Using desensitizing gel will aid in the replacement of the essential vitamins and minerals needed, temporarily close the pores in the teeth, lessen the re-staining rate and minimize sensitivity!
- Whiten before bed to minimize re-staining. I also found that whitening before bed worked best in my schedule anyways.
- Only use about 1/3 of a gel syringe for each session
- Coat your gums with Vaseline or coconut oil if there is any irritation
Honestly, I thought I had pretty white teeth before using Smile Brilliant, so I wasn’t sure how dramatic the transformation would be. But, now that I see the side-by-side comparison of my before and after photos, I’m STUNNED at just how perfectly white my smile is now! The process was super easy, convenient and yielded fantastic results. I couldn’t be happier. The after photos were taken following 7 sessions with my Smile Brilliant trays.
In addition to reviewing Smile Brilliant’s professional teeth whitening system, I’ve also partnered up with them to giveaway a FREE Smile Brilliant Teeth Whitening Kit ($139+ value)!
If you’d like to enter the giveaway, just follow this link.
But if you want your teeth whitening kit right now, you can always use the coupon code “ASHLEYMARANDHEALTH15” for 15% off storewide at Smile Brilliant.
Error: There is no connected account for the user 8442198732 Feed will not update.