I love using weights in HIIT workouts, yoga/barre sculpt classes and in functional training. For me, I’ve found what works best in my body and gives me results that work for my frame, is to use light to medium weights (meaning 2lb-8lb weights for arms/back and 20lb-50lb for legs/glutes).
But, it’s important to remember that 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭. And what is best in my body may not work for you. I know 𝑝𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 of women who prefer and enjoy results from lifting much heavier. It’s about finding what works for you.
Regardless, weight training is important to include in your exercise routine and mix of workouts. Here are some things to know:
- MUSCLE BURNS FAT: For every single pound of muscle gained, your body burns 30 to 50 more calories just to maintain it.
- IMPROVED YOGA PRACTICE: Those advanced postures and transitions you’ve been trying to hit? They all require strength!
- FASTER METABOLISM: Our metabolism slows down as we age. Keep it burning efficiently with weights. Weight training also produces an “afterburn” effect in the body meaning you’ll continue to burn calories even after your workout is done.
- BUILD STRONG BONES: As women, our bone density also decreases with age, but weight training helps to build that density. Paired with a solid yoga practice, you’re sure to have a strong skeletal system.
- REVEAL WASHBOARD ABS: studies show that women who lifted weights lost more intra-abdominal fat (deep belly fat) than those who just did cardio.