Do you ever have a hard time falling asleep? Or do you ever wake up in the middle of night and can’t go back to sleep?
I recently learned “4-7-8 breathing” from Dr. Weil, and it’s REALLY helped quiet and calm my mind and allow me to fall asleep. Here’s how it goes:
How to do 4-7-8 breathing:
- Exhale all of air out of your mouth
- Inhale through your nose for 4 counts
- Hold your breath for 7 counts
- Exhale out of your mouth for 8 counts
- Repeat steps 2-4 for 4 breath cycles
If you find that the above is fairly easily for you, increase to 8 breath cycles at a time.
Give it a try!
Breathwork is a powerful anti-anxiety practice. But, don’t forget, it’s just that: a practice. It takes time and dedication!